April 12, 2008

Bigots Betrayed by Language

Commissioner warns of homosexual "social and sexual agenda"

(from www.tampabays10.com)

Tampa, Florida - Hillsborough County Commissioner Brian Blair is warning parents about the "Day of Silence."


The "Day of Silence" is an annual event created by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network to bring attention to name-calling, bullying and harassment of gay students. On April 25th some students will wear buttons or t-shirts to to observe the day. Others may even put tape over their mouths.


In an e-mail from the District 6 Commissioner, Blair encourages parents to contact the Hillsborough County School District to object.


...Here are excerpts from the Brian Blair e-mail:


"I have always believed that all citizens are equal and should be treated accordingly. On the other hand, no group of citizens should be given government sanction and support to promote their social and sexual agenda upon the rest of us and especially, on our children."


"Considering the fact that the same school system does not want to allow just one Minute of Silence in the classroom for God, this is preposterous."


"Can you imagine asking for a 'Day of Cheer for Heterosexuality?' If no action is taken to change this policy, then perhaps it is time for another surgical strike from the majority; 'A Day of Abstention' from school participation might be considered."


Given that this year is an election year and the Lesser of Three Evils circus-like campaign juggernaut is currently running full steam ahead, it takes one hell of an effort to do or say anything more ignorant, pompous, or hypocritical than the never ending stream of miss-speaks and carved from their context sound bytes we're needle-fed every time we turn on a television. But we're in luck, friend. At least one man-- a fool named Brian Blair-- was courageous enough to pick up the gauntlet and betray his bigotry and blind, prejudiced fear out loud and proud where anyone with even an inkling of logic or decency rattling around in the dustbin they call a soul can see what a monomaniac he happens to be.


What is infinitely more disturbing is how many people believe that this sort of nonsense is not only understandable, but a victory for all “right thinking” and “God fearing” peoples in our country who happen to want to protect their children from the “disease” and “abomination” that is homosexuality. Not that they hate fudgepack... er, homosexuals or anything-- they don't have hate in their hearts!-- they're just trying to protect the common moral values as they were instilled in early America while protecting the sanctity of marriage.


Right. And every time I avoid walking down dark streets in bad neighborhoods in the middle of the night I'm just expressing my purely aesthetic preference for well lighted pavement over shadowed pavement and helping to protect America's fine traditions of illuminated sidewalks. It certainly has nothing to do with fear, believe you me!


Truthfully, I don't even know where to begin in addressing this... it puts me in mind of so many cross, star, and crescent shaped blades cutting deep into my sense of American pride and dignity-- which does one attempt to remove first? How about we begin with a simple question: when was the last time you, in passing, referred to something uncomfortable, unfair, or not to your taste or liking with a slang use of a word referring to homosexuals or homosexual practices? C'mon, be honest... it's not as if someone is being gay and watching over your shoulder to see what you're reading or hear what you say... or if they are, tell them to get lost and quit being such a fag about it.


Do you see my point? Unless you're a particularly lucky individual who has become immune to what is now a part of our cultural vernacular I doubt very seriously that the last sentence in the above paragraph struck you as offensive or out of the ordinary. A bit crass, perhaps, and poorly written most certainly (consider the source), but not any more offensive than someone yelling “CRAP!” or “HELLFIRE!” when they stub their toe or spill a glass of Rum and Coke Zero. It's become so deeply ingrained into our culture-- especially into my generation and the generations beneath me-- to refer to anything or anyone we consider to be wrong or out of place as “gay” that it's no longer a conscious thought and the two have simply become interchangeable in our lexicon. Now for the unpleasant fact so many of us like to ignore; if X is labeled Y, Y is therefore defined by X. No matter how many speeches about hope and diversity our elected scape goats offer up, no matter how many private conversations we have with acquaintances about our own feelings and “tolerance” towards homosexuality (“Why, my 5th cousin on my aunt's side is a fa... er, homosexual, and my daughter brought her gay guy pal home to dinner the last time she was visiting from college! Of course I'M not gay, but...”), and no matter how many times we tune in to watch gay men attempt to make ugly men beautiful or teach walking oafs like myself how to dance without causing irreversible physiological damage to our partners, we're no more tolerant than our hate mongering ancestors. We simply allow our patterns of speech to betray our real “tolerance” right under our noses and belittle every homosexual in the process.


This draws me to the most astringent comment made by Mr. Blair:


"I have always believed that all citizens are equal and should be treated accordingly. On the other hand, no group of citizens should be given government sanction and support to promote their social and sexual agenda upon the rest of us and especially, on our children."


What in the name of the three Furies does Mr. Blair (and the rest of the bigots in our country-- fundamentalists, evangelicals, fear and hate mongers, and the just plain ignorant for that matter) call forcing a Judeo-Christian viewpoint onto youth by attempting to canalize into them the idea that there is only ONE proper code of conduct in terms of personal sexuality and by forbidding them the opportunity to express their disgust over the denigration of homosexuals that has become almost irreversibly engendered into our language OTHER than a government sanctioned attempt to “promote their social and sexual agenda upon the rest of us and especially, on our children?” I'm sure if called to task for this blatant double standard the charlatan Blair would simply hide behind the “sanctity of marriage” and “inherent American values” argument until the trumpets blew and it was time for the “roll call up yonder.”


What only compounds this garbage is the man simultaneously played the they-took-God-out-of-our-schools card amidst his other nonsense:


"Considering the fact that the same school system does not want to allow just one Minute of Silence in the classroom for God, this is preposterous.”


If any credit is due to this pharisee it is earned by the fact that he certainly knows from what base his support will come-- white light will invariably flow straight out of ministries and tabernacles all across the land and ring his head with a shiny little halo. All the while, the children in his charge are hearing his message loud and clear-- neither he nor God will tolerate the gay community any more than they're forced to, nor will they even APPEAR to defend such abominable lifestyles as just as acceptable as “right thinking” American sexual protocol... so stop being a queer-bait who wants to stand up for fags!


I am not any more immune to this social sickness than my contemporaries-- I still catch myself using the word “gay” for no good reason when I'm addressing a situation I find unacceptable. But I have chosen to remain immune to the common knowledge that such behavior is acceptable and I attempt to change it every day I remain breathing. I am not a parent, nor, though I have some very limited experience in the challenges of rearing and teaching young children about values and ethics, can I claim to have an even semi-comprehensive understanding of the multitude of challenges and threats a parent must face in caring for a child. However, I know one thing-- if I'm lucky enough to become a parent or a personal mentor to a young child, my child or charge will not be taught to denigrate ANY sexual orientation for any reason or in any context, and if I ever receive an email that even remotely resembles Mr. Blair's, I'll certainly pay attention to a small portion of it; the portion about contacting the local school district... though I have serious doubts that any other Brian Blair's in this world will much like what I have to say about their blatant attempt to “promote their social and sexual agenda upon the rest of us and especially, on our children,” as “pharisee” and “bigot” will be among the kindest words I will use.


--


On a happier note that, I can only hope, will help sop up the anger this entry is hemorrhaging out onto your desk or lap, I've run across a story that is the polar opposite of the one cited above:


South principal defends teacher's sexuality remarks
Some parents contend talk to students went too far
(from www.leadertelegram.com)


By Christena T. O'Brien
Leader-Telegram staff


Throughout her tenure as a South Middle School health teacher, Stephanie Rowe has faced repeated questions from students about her sexual orientation during study of the human growth and development portion of her class.


Year after year, Rowe chose not to answer the question, but last week she decided to tell about 125 students she was gay.


"One of the things she promotes with her students is honesty ... and she felt that she should model that for them and respectfully so," said Principal John Wallace, who spoke to Rowe before she revealed her sexual orientation to students on April 2.


"Rather than wait for the question she decided she'd announce it so her students knew and they could move on," Wallace said Tuesday. "Knowing her as I do, I knew she'd handle it well."


Given all that I've already written on the subject, I feel no need to elaborate as to why this story turns my frown upside down, nor do I feel a need to comment as to why the subtitle-- Some parents contend talk to students went too far-- is just as ridiculous as Brian Blair's damnfoolishness. This story speaks for itself, so I'll make no attempt to try and scream over it.


However, I will offer up my unconditional applause to the courageous educator in question, Stephanie Rowe, and to South Middle School Principal, John Wallace. I can only hope that you'll do the same.

No comments: